August 13, 2014
How To Change Your Life In Three Easy Steps
Even with the scientific explanation in mind, I have not been able to see that dress as anything other than white and gold (and allegedly it IS blue and black).
It’s so annoying not to be able to overcome my perspective on this and see the truth in the photo! So, drawn in by the idea of mastering this, I just watched this video and what really stood out for me is what he says at 1:51:
“This is a beautiful example of how our brains have evolved to interpret the world around us, without us even realising.”
That got me thinking. If I am this rigid in my thought about this dress, where else am I making assumptions and not seeing what is really going on?
We all know that experts used to be adamant that the world was flat. I’ve even heard a story about a man who died from hypothermia when he was trapped in a meat freezer, though later it was discovered that it wasn’t switched on.
The power our perception has over our reality is immense. And for each of us, our perceptions about who we are and what we are capable of doing directly correlate to our own personal belief system and attitudes.
They can make or break us. But if they don’t serve us well, with the right tools and focus, we can choose to change them.
To get an idea of what’s possible, ask yourself:
– What one thing is holding me back, more than any other?
– What is my current perspective on that?
– What is true about that?
– What is not true about that?
– What other perspectives COULD be possible in this instance, if anything were possible? (Come up with at least five alternatives)
– Which one of those serves me best? And how?
– What is possible in this perspective?
– How could the future be different now?
– What are you willing to do and when, in order to move forwards?
If you’d like to work through this in a 1-to-1 session with me, then please get in touch.
Coaching for people just like you. connecting you to your confidence, vision and motivation to create a life that you love.